Today has been an adventure, to say the very least. It turns out the command line is indeed a gift, and I’ve been a fool to avoid it for as long as I have.
In the course of one afternoon, I have:
- Finally made version control, a la Github, a part of my dev process
- Installed Grunt.js (and Node.js) and a few handy plugins
- Built a new local WP environment with the Underscores blank theme and converted the theme styling to Sass with the help of sassy_s
I haven’t actually done any development today, so I can’t really attest to the boost in productivity just yet, because I’ve been having a ball exploring Grunt.js, trying new things, and troubleshooting my experiments, but I’ll get there. I’m still having way too much fun looking for any remaining plugins I might need and imagining all the other ways I can use these new tools. I will say this: I may never look back.
If you, like me, find all of this a little intimidating and aren’t really sure where to start, I have a few recommendations:
- For Getting Started with Github
- For Getting Started with Grunt.js